Thursday, September 2, 2010

"Oh, wow?"

While waiting in the Biology building for my Archaeological Science lecture class the other day, I was casually talking with another girl there waiting in the hallway. We were discussing why everyone had chosen this class and the general answer from most was something along the lines of, "I heard it was easy," or "It's what fit into my schedule." Harmless enough. Then, this girl says to me, "I just wanted to get my sciences over with. I mean, I don't want to be, like, *a junior* and still needing to take a science. ::Deep breaths on my part:: I *am* a junior. Realistically, I'd be a senior if I had my status changed after my last transcripts were received by UNT. While I realize I may not have made the conventional choices when it comes to college, I know it won't matter in the end when I get my degree. So, moving on... I mention to her that I actually am a junior and that I still had a couple of "core" classes left but I wasn't able to get into chemistry which I took the first semester of years ago. In response, she asks me "How old are you?" to which I answer, "24." "Oh, wow!" she says. Not just your typical "oh, wow," but an eyes-opened-widely, shock apparent kind-of "oh, wow." She is 20. Who am I to explain to her that in just four short years she, too, will be 24. And when the hell did 24 become old? I knew that in my "core" courses, I'd be surrounded by mostly 18-20 year-olds but I really didn't think that anyone would think of me as an “older” student. Apparently, I was mistaken in my thinking that I’d fit right in. Oh well, in *my* world, I fit in just fine. On the upside, I’m legally able to drink a glass of wine while I do my blogging. Take that 20 year-old girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment